Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My nomination for Teacher of the Year

I am married to a future Teacher of the Year winner.  I've told him very few times (I know I should do much better with that),  but I think he is a terrific teacher.  Our kids think he is "one of THOSE kind of teachers", but our schools could use many, many more like him.  His dedication and desire for these kids to learn is unbelievable.  He takes it personally that the kids don't care, and he takes it personally when a kid wants to learn but isn't the brightest sparkler on the 4th.  He goes in early to meet with a student (when I say early, I mean EARLY.....he leaves at 5:30), he stays late to help students, he will call a student and help with work over the phone.  He makes phone calls to parents/grandparents/custodians of the kids that struggle, have an attitude, don't do their homework, etc.  He has even been known to call a parent right there in class with the student........ he has ruined a few days for some kids!  An example of "one of THOSE kind of teachers"......if the kid doesn't do their homework, they have to stand up in class (homework is rental payment on their desk).  No homework, no desk.  He does take cell phones away, he doesn't let kids go to the bathroom (unless REALLY needing to go), etc.  He has TONS of kids that love him and a handful that don't.  The handful that don't are losers anyway.  He uses humor to teach and to get/maintain their attention.  He could teach some teachers a few things!  Some of the things that he tells me he says/does.......well, let's just say he does have an active imagination and sense of humor.  Good thing he didn't teach back when a teacher could put their hands on the kids.  There would be a lot of kids going home with sore butts!  However, it would certainly get their attention! 

I'm very proud of him.........what else can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment