Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I'm too old for this!

Ok, I had this unbelievable phone interview on Monday.  I've had them before, a few years ago when I was looking to go to work with another transcription company.  Now THAT was the kind of interview I was expecting....didn't happen!  This chick wanted to know REAL stuff.  I even lied, but it was a good lie and totally worked!  She asked me what type of reference material I had.  It's true that you can Google just about anything now and get your information.  Being a transcriptionist, though, you have to be sure the information you are getting is correct.  There are about 3 websites that I use and are very reliable.  I had prepared myself prior to the interview and written down some things that I felt sure she would ask me.  Yep......she asked about the reference material.  I clicked off the websites that I use and felt really cocky (in your face girlfriend!).  She then asked if I had the "AAMT Book of Style".  My jaw dropped and of course I said "Yes, of course I do."  What I really wanted to say is "Duh, who doesn't, to be a great transcriptionist you have to have it.  I use mine daily, don't you?" (even though I don't!) but I didn't think that was very professional.  She then asked "What edition?"  Let me tell you, if you don't have the stinkin' book how are you supposed to know what edition you are "supposed" to have.  I don't know how many editions are out there.  By this point, my ears are hot and my heart rate is well over 100.  I told her I wasn't sure what edition I had because "My book is in the car..."  Huh????  Why would my AAMT Book of Style be in a car?  Maybe I could have said "We just took a road trip and I was doing some reading up to be a better transcriptionist" or "I like to have it with me when I sit and wait while picking up my son from school" or "it was really raining and flooding here last night, so I put the book in the car in case we had to evacuate."   I fully expected her to say "I'll hold on while you run out to the car and get it."  You know how you doodle while you're on the phone........at this point, my doodles became almost devilish looking!!  Panic will do that to a body holding a pen.  She then asked me "What color is your book?"  Well, duh, if you don't even HAVE the book how are you supposed to know what color it is?  I mean really, COME ON lady, enough of the stupid book already.  I just blurted out "BLUE."  I had, by that point, doodled all the way down through about 3 reams of paper!!!  She then told me that I had the 2nd edition (but of course I do!).  Guess what I did.........I ordered one from Amazon yesterday because I have another phone interview later next week when the head honcho gets back from vacation!  I'm afraid she will ask me something that is actually in my BLUE book.  You can bet I made sure the book I ordered was the prettiest blue you've ever seen.  The interview was an hour long.  She kept saying things like "well let me ask you this before we get into the interview portion".  Are you kidding me......if these questions keep getting any harder I'm just going to hang up!  Now the bad news..........they got over 100 applications for this new orthopedic clinic and are only hiring 4 transcriptionists.  All I have to say is that it is a good thing I have a new blue book coming.........wonder what I will have to lie about next week with the "Donald Trump" chick from Opti-Script!!!  I'm too old for this...........

3 comments:

  1. I hate interviews. You handled that very well! Fingers crossed. They need a person like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly one of the funniest things you've ever said/written. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete